Re: Ignition problem

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 09:57:41 EDT

> Has anyone ever experienced this problem before? One of the doctors here
> came to me with a problem I had never heard of. His wife broke the
> ignition key off in the ignition of he rVolvo last night and they cannot
> extract the remainder of the key. Any ideas? I suggested removing the
> ignition cylinder from the steering column and trying to poke out the
> piece that's in there. All suggestions are appreciated.
>
> I told him he should have gotten a Dakota. The keys seem pretty sturdy to
> me.

Actually Dakota ignitions use fairly heavy return springs in the ignition
column. Trust me I know. Over the 6 years I have owned my Dak, I managed to
break 2-3 keys off in the ignition and 1-2 in the door key hole. I had to
call a locksmith out 2-3 to extract the broken key out, but it was all
reimbursed by my insurance company at $60 per 'emergency' call-out. I would
highly suggest calling up a locksmith in your area and having them pick it
out. It only took them 5 minutes whenever I had to do this. About 2 years
ago, the locksmith I always go to(to have keys made, who also owns a sweet
Jeep on 35s) suggested using Dodge Ram keys and just having them cut down
to fit my Dakota key. I did this and havent had a problem since. The body or
the key is alot thicker.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6

Kyle