Re: smiley faces on my pistons ????

From: Terry Herrin (therrin@isaac.net)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 18:36:36 EDT

mark janke <sftvboy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I've got a 99 Dakota 3.9 and want to put in the 1.7
>roller rocker kit (I think the factory put in 1.6?)
>has anyone done this?

I put 1.7's in my 5.9 last week.

>Any problems with my pistons and valve clearance? I

Nope.

>WILL NOT be replacing the factory camshaft. Is there
>a tool to check the clearance before I fire the engine
>the first time? I haven't bought the kit yet.

You don't use a tool, you set the rocker to zero-lash and then turn
the nut another 1/2 to 3/4 turn, then tighten down the allen lock
screw. Have you ever done this before? There's a rather lengthy and
exact procedure you have to follow in order to adjust the new rockers
correctly.

Terry Herrin
99 FR CC R/T
14.769 @ 91.43