JBA Headers/Large Stock Manifolds

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 19:23:58 EDT

Has anyone installed JBA's headers on a GenII V6 Dakota? If so, were there
any gains/loses? I am kind of interested in them, but I do not want to lose
ANY low end grunt/power. I am looking to gain some low end/mid RPM ranged
power, and could care less about "how hard they pull" in the upper/high RPM
band.

If these headers so not work for what I want or do not add power where I
want them to, then I 'may' try another route, which maybe a really cheap
mod(if I can find them at a junk yard). I recently read an article(and tore
it out actually...shhh, dont tell NTB!) about swapping exhaust manifolds in
the June issue of Sport Truck. This article was dedicated to "A Guide To
Used Dodge Dakota Pickups". This article did have some interesting facts
about Dakotas in general. They listed a good section, titled "Potential
Problem Areas", which was also interesting.

In this article, they said to install large-diameter 1992 exhaust manifolds
on 1993 and newer Magnum engines. The claim the swap "should be worth about
10 hp." The article states, "1992 and early 1993 factory Magnum cast iron
manifolds are larger than later manifolds. The 1992 manifolds are 2 18"
inside diameter, and the newer models are 1 7/8" inside diameter. The
casting numbers for the 1992 exhaust manifolds are 53006617(driver's side)
and 53006618(passenger's side). The corresponding Y-Pipe must be used with
these manifolds."

I wonder what month my 1993 Dakota was made in......hmmmm.
I am just not sure if this applies to V6 or V8 Dakotas, as the article did
not state it. I am going to check the casting numbers on my Dak and see what
I find out tomorrow. Thanks for any and all input/info.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 v6