Re: Colder Plugs?????????

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 14:11:44 EDT

At 12:59 PM 5/3/00 EDT, you wrote:
>If using a plug one range colder than stock gives our trucks more power
>and makes them run better, why wouldn't our trucks come with them
>from the factory? Emissions?

Factory parts are a compromise solution in order to meet emission,
mileage and driveability levels with performance somewhere, if that,
at the bottom of the list.

>I have the autolite 5224's waiting to be put in. Does anyone know
>the part # for plugs one range colder?

5223. If you want non-truck plugs, 3924 is the normal range and 3923
is one colder.

>Are there any down sides to going to a plug that is one range colder?

If the type of driving is similar to city-like driving where the
motor really doesn't get very hot, the plugs will tend to foul up.
They can be cleaned up with a brisk run on the highway.

Bob Tom. Ontario, Canada. '97 Dakota CC, 5.2L, 3.92 SG, auto.
Corrected max. rwhp = 227.4 Corrected max. rwtorque = 335.0 lb-ft
Measured max rwhp = 231.2 Measured max. rwtorque = 340.0 lb-ft
PB 14.85 sec @ 91.67 mph