Re: Pinging - Dealer just notified me of something NEW

From: Marty & Sharon (msdng@netzero.net)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 13:12:36 EDT

Carbon will excessively build up also on the exhaust runner if they are not
smooth. Stock runners are pretty rough. Smooth them out and they will not
build up as quickly as before. BUT.....if you want to do this yourself, get
some heavy duty rubber gloves and paint remover.(called Aircraft Remover
from your local paint store) Pull the heads off and spray the remover in the
chamber on top of the pistons. Give it 10 minutes to bubble up then wipe out
with rags. No grinding, no elbow grease, just shiny brand new pistons.( I
used to spend lotsa time trying to grind the carbon off before I tried this)
Then consider getting a hotter ignition to burn up most of the residual
carbon in the chamber and a set of headers to lower the temp in there. If
it's warranty, let them do the work. But if you do this yourself, then you
can borrow a dremel (even a file works) and just knock the high spots off
the exhaust runners, no major porting or polishing, just very mild cleanup
of the surface. I hope this helps.
Kuk

> My dealer's service manager just called and left a message last night.
> Returned his call and was told they want the truck back in. He talked to
> Chrysler tech and was instructed to bring truck back in and remove the
> headers and clean that way. He stated the fluid is not cleaning the
carbon
> buildup and it's the only way to do it right.
>
> What are the groups thoughts on this?
>
> If it is the cause it will only happen again in the future right?
>
> If it is the cause, what's causing the excess buildup?
>
> '99 Dakota Sport
> V6 automatic
> Been pinging since 8k, it's on 26k now

NetZero - Defenders of the Free World