Re: another hotchkis Question

From: Bob Mankin (bob@cadpros.com)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 20:42:19 EDT

Sam Parthemer wrote:

> Bob, your situation could be profitable for you. No aftermarket part can
> void your entire warranty. I see an easy win win for an attorney.
>
> Think about it... If I were to replace my OEM RT rims with a set of , say,
> VIPER front rims, and later on I have a bearing failure in the front end...
> The dealership COULD claim the part I replaced (RT rim with Viper rim)
> caused
> the failure, so it's not covered.

Sam,

I have thought about it. After I calmed down over my initial shock I
actually started laughing at the stupidity of it all.

> They COULD NOT void the entire powertrain warranty, nor could they void my
> electrical (3/36 bumper to bumper) because the rims had NOTHING to do with
> the
> reason my passenger side window quit working (example).
>
> You get the L work (Lawyer), and pay a Lawyer $20 for piece of their letter
> head,
> and fax it to the district guy and state "Unless we can work this out, I
> will be forced
> refer this to my Attorney." They don't want the bad press, nor do they want
> people
> to see that they have their pants around their ankles.

Agreed. I believe by design it is very difficult to get to the district
rep. I can't get him through the dealer and if you call the national
number, they make it clear they will not give out his phone number. How
convenient. Let's see if the need to fax legal papers changes that tune.

> No different if I put on headers on my truck (I did), O2 sensor goes out (it
> did)...
> COVERED.
>
> Get Hotchkis involved... They sell enough kits that DC knows what kind of
> product it is.
>
> IF all aftermarket parts VOID your warranty, then their wouldn't be any
> aftermarket products,
> because people would be too scared to put them on for fear of voiding your
> warranty.
>
> If you need assistance, IE. Calls to the service mgr, to explain to him the
> facts of life, etc... LET ME KNOW.

I may take you up on that. We'll see how tomorrow pans out.

Bob