Re: RE: Subwoofers

From: Ohm347@aol.com
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 03:04:03 EDT

In a message dated 05/09/2000 10:41:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Dester223@aol.com writes:

<< Ohm,
     I'm not exactly sure why it smoked, but 1) the speaker wires arched (12
 awg stinger speaker wires at 1.50 a foot!) for 2) the amp couldn't hold a 1
 ohm load.

 I think it's 1. I tested the wire for contineuty and it was positive. the
 wires passed voltage between the two. anyways. that is ditched and you're
 right. all out or nothing at all. hehe.

in your install were the 12 awg wires run in contact with one another? were
they melted with signs of the wire having sagged into the insulation? how
far away was your amp from the subs? the reason i'm asking is i'm wondering
if the wire you used was not of sufficient size(awg) to deal with the amps
you were sending down it for its length. an rf 250.2 is supposed to be able
to push 250 watts into 2 channels at 4 ohms right? so you would have been
pulling closed to 1000watts through that 12 awg wires which may have caused
the wire to act as a choke(worse over distance) for the current causing the
voltage to drop, heat to rise and the insulation to fail. an interesting
fact i was told recently was that wire insulation lifespan is cut in half for
every 10 degree's celsius(i'm canadian 9/5+32 or something like that) you
raise the temp of the wire. you might want to go with a 10 awg or 8 on your
recently(i'm an electrician) where someone had undersized a cable by 20 % of
the motors rated load. the insulation on the wires had fused together and
the copper conductors had actually pulled towards each other through the
weakend insulation.

derek

 As for my opti 2500, I am not sure how much wattage it'll hold. I'm
probably
 gonna run 1 sub (dual 4 ohm coils) per channel and that'd give me a true 2
 ohm stereo load on the amp, which I think is still overkill for it. I'll
 find out. if it over powers it, oh well. there's always warranty!
 -Dester >>