Re: RE: Subwoofers attn Dester

From: Chris Lambert (clam9892@postoffice.uri.edu)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 09:08:56 EDT

Ok Dester plain and simple. I do believe you as it is knowledge that I
have had for a while. This is why I am asking the list if anyone has had
any good experience with a sub that will not only fit in a thunderform but
will handle 400+W rms and sound good doing it. This is the stuff that tech
sheets, no matter how far you read into them, can tell you. I do under
stand that 50 watts of pure distortion will blow a sub quicker than a 5000W
clean amp signal. But I also know that the subs will not last too long
with that 5000W of power either, I like to turn it up this time of year. I
am thinking about getting the IDQ's as they handle quite a bit of power and
they are coming out with a new sub to replace the current model. The guy
said that the new sub has dual 2ohm voicecoils, it is also $30 more
expensive so I am gonna wait because it might handle more power. I know i
can wire it into either 1-1ohm load, 2- 2ohm loads, or 1-4ohm load. I am
planning the 1-4ohm load. Now I just have to either find another amp for
these as I really want to stay below the manufactrers rated power, or just
use a little less gain...

Chris

>Sorry to the list members for creating this negative bandwidth on the DML,
>but I'd just like to clarify one more thing. Overpowering a sub is less
>likely to blowing it than underpower it and clipping (distortion) the amp.
>if you're feeding 300 TRUE watts into a sub without distortion, and it's
>rated at 300 watts, it's not likly you'll blow it. Kicker comps are a nice
>sub, but I can take ANY sub on the market today and blow it with a 50 watt
>amp.
>
>don't believe me?
>- -Dester

'00 CC, 4.7, 5-sp, 255/65/15's nearing baldness, tinted windows, Magnum
front plate, flairs, clear corners, stereo in progress...