Re: (BOB) The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

From: Bob Mankin (bob@cadpros.com)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 17:34:59 EDT

Alan Short wrote:

> Hmmm, I didn't see ANY protection for aftermarket parts installations.
> What did I miss?
> Even if there was, you'd have to file a court case.
> A service writer wouldn't know or care about Magnusson - Moss.
> I wonder who (if anyone) used this case law as a defense against a
> Dealership in a aftermarket parts warranty issue?
> Alan S.

Alan,

The S.E.M.A. site explains it best. Warranties cannot be conditioned on
the use of parts which are identified by name, brand, etc. So, since I
don't happen to like the Chrysler sway bars and shocks on my vehicle, I
decide to install Hotchkis gear. The dealer cannot refuse me service now
that I another manufacturer's equipment installed. The law doesn't
directly say after market.

Keep in mind my dealer took it a step further and voided my ENTIRE
warranty(both factory extended service), not just the suspension parts
at issue.

Bob