RE: 180 tstat not as cold as I thought!

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 15:17:57 EDT

Ok....here goes my last comments as to the mixture rate:
(And you can find these rating on ANY Coolant bottle. The 40/60 is from a
very old Prestone bottle)

The mixture ratio is Coolant/Water

40/60 Mixture: -18 -> 245
50/50 Mixture: -34 -> 265
60/40 Mixture: -62 -> 270
70/30 Mixture: -84 -> +275

The reasoning for running only 30% coolant is because of the average area
doesn't get below 0 degrees. In the areas that do, you should adjust the
ratio accordingly. And...if you want to run 70% coolant to protect your
engine from getting about 275 degrees...well, it's your engine. (We all
know what happens when they overheat.)

- Bernd