Re: DML:ATI Supercharger Kit

From: Ptturbo@aol.com
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 09:44:15 EDT

In a message dated 5/15/00 7:18:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
TEDSDAKOTA@aol.com writes:

> << I don't see how a turbo coul possibly put ANY extra strain on
> an engine
>
> -mike d. >>
>
> What pushes the exhaust gas out,, The engine exhaust stroke...We put
> headers, free flow mufflers etc to help the motor get the gasses out
easier
> and then put a turbine in its way to spin..Gotta cost something...

Actually, besides exhaust pressure, the tubo benifits from both heat
and sound energy too.. Did you ever notice how quiet a turbo car is with
no muffler? Mechanical supercharging 'usually' results in more power
losses to produce the same boost level, but there are exceptions. I have
a customer with screw chargers on his twin 500CID offshore engines.
 The SCs were carefully flow matched to the engine's intended
 RPM & boost range requirements. (*Carefully* = many hours)
 He has spent a ton of money to get there, but I think it is as efficient
(in the range of use) as the turbo boats he competes with.
Stir into the debate, the number of folks with both turbos AND SCs
 that ignore the flow ratings and mismatch the components, giving
naysayers all the argument they need to tout the other technology.
Then debate will never die. Gotta go earn some money ..
 Catch ya later.
Cheers,
Mike V