Re: Loose Butt end

From: mschwall@flash.net
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 15:53:45 EDT

On Fri May 19 14:13:03 2000, dakota-truck@buffnet.net wrote:

> mschwall@flash.net wrote:
> > Truck is too light, and tires are too hard. Reduce the air in the rear
tires.
> > I have mine down to around 20. Lower the pressure till the rear tread
contact
> > with the ground is the same as the front.
> >
> > Mike Schwall
>
> And how much did your gas mileage drop with this? Tire wear?
>
> --
> -andy

None. I get from 19.5 to 20.5 with the V6. Tire wear? Actually better wear.
The tires are wearing even across the tread, not just in the center. Even
though the tire says to inflate to 35 or whatever psi, the rear of the truck is
just too light to get proper loading on the tire to flatten out the tread on the
road. reducing air pressure gets the proper tread contact patch on the ground,
promoting proper tire wear and increasing traction. The fronts ride fine with
the specified pressure because you have he weight of the engine over it.

Mike Schwall