Re: V6 Ticking-Timing chain?!

From: Dester223@aol.com
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 22:33:33 EDT

Do you have headers or something? I remember I had a ticking sound in my
dakota when

a) the studs that held the exhaust manifolds on broke and created a leak.

b) after getting my truck back, the ticking was evident. Crawled under there
and noticed the y-pipe flanges were NOT tightened down by dodge. oh well.
at least they took the heads off, replaced ALL the studs (which I later took
out and put bolts in for the headers)
-Dester

<< Hey all,
 Got a problem. I have some serious ticking in my
 engine compartment. I'm not sure what it is, but it
 will get more quiet after the engine warms up. I
 remember something about the timing chains on the v6's
 going bad at around 60K mis. Well, I'm close to that
 right now, about 8K mis away. Could this be the
 problem? I don't think it is an exhaust leak, I have
 checked it before and the bolts are still tight. Does
 the timing chain ticking subdue after warm up? My gf
 siad that it might be the speedo cable, bcs her car
 does the same thing. Any suggestions?! Please email me
 privately at digum98@yahoo.com to save space on here.
 Thanks in advance!