tranny racing problems

From: Dester223@aol.com
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 19:11:30 EDT

hey,
    I have a 97 3.9 dakota that tries to act like it's got an 8 cylinder in
it, but anyways. recently, the 42re auto tranny has been acting very weird.

1) sometimes off acceleration. it'll go, CLUNK. and drive perfectly fine or
when it reaches 4-5k RPMS it'll sometimes clunk here also.

2) sometimes on the highway. on WOT, it shifts into OD at about 2.5k rpms.

3) sometimes, just under light/moderate (some would say "normal")
acceleration, it'll go, clunk clunk and drive perfect...

So.. I'm thinking, bad syncronizers? the tranny fluid has been 100% flushed
out (thanks to valvoline) and is basically brand new. the only thing
modified on the tranny is the Speedo gear. put a 32 tooth in instead of the
34 tooth to try to compensate for the difference in tire diamiater and it's
about 1 mile off every 100 miles. I don't know what's wrong. what does it
seem like to you guys? Could I have one of those defective valve bodies. and
if so.. would a transgo shift kit replace that? or... is there a recall on
this tranny item?

-Dester

97 Dakota CC v6 auto
JBA Headers, K&N Gen-2 setup, ASP underdrive pullies, upgraded 2.5" y-pipe,
Jacob's ignition, ported TB, 1.6 roller rockers, electrical fan, 180 stat,
and much more...
PB 1/4 mile: 17.221@79 MPH