DML:diff.question

From: Steve Preston (steve318@webtv.net)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 22:24:42 EDT

This doesn`t have anything to do with my truck`s problem,but I`m
curious.At what point mph-wise does the benefit of,say,a 3.92 gearset
become a problem and the next gearset up,say 3.55,become more of a
benefit? I realize that the 3.55`s will get you top end better,but how
much more top end? If you`re cruising at 65-70 and you need to pass
someone,which gearset is gonna get you around them quicker?I guess I`m
really wondering if a V6 is not such a good match with the 3.92
gears,since it has such a low redline.4300 rpm or something(I
think).Maybe once I get the truck fixed I should look at possibly
raising the redline a little with a valvetrain upgrade? I read in some
Mopar mag that the reason Magnums have such a low redline is the pushrod
design or rockers.Any thoughts on this by any V6ers? V8ers?
Steve P.