Clear Coating MPI WAS: Re: the eagle has landed

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 23:01:27 EDT

Hi, Jon

At 03:57 PM 5/31/00 -0400, you wrote:
> What did you use to clear coat it? I should probably do that if I
>ever have the intake off the engine again.

If the intake is new or has not 'oxidized', wipe clean with a degreaser.
If it's oxidized, either glass bead or sand blast it ... an auto. shop
can probably do it ... we have a sand blaster kit.

We use Dupont Hi-Tech 680S Acrylic Urethane Clear Coat and Dupont
682S hardener (4 parts clear with 1 part hardener). We spray it
with a spray gun/compressor one light coat and then two heavy coats
(~15 min. between each coat). Because it's urethane, care must be
taken by wearing a top-notch mask or aspirator-type mask.

The Dupont clear is about $50/quart CDN. The hardener is really
expensive though. We've had both for a long, long time and used
them on many parts so from that point of view, it's cost effective.
Dave sprayed the intake manifold on the '85 Shelby Charger back in
'86 and it still looks new and shiny today.

Bob