Re: RE: Check valve for oil cool?

From: Marty Galyean (mgalyean@acm.org)
Date: Sun Jun 04 2000 - 15:05:20 EDT

One typically wants to 'filter hot oil; cool filtered oil' for
obvious reasons if you think about it. Because of this the
sandwich should be catching the oil after it exits the filter.
Is this what the sandwich you are looking at does?
Also, in the sandwich I installed on my baja beetle there
is a pressure bypass to bypass the cooler (and filter?) when
oil is cold (thicker, so higher pressure).

FWIW, my baja takes a couple of seconds to read
pressure also.

I have had it explained to me that as long as the engine
is not hi-rev'd or loaded (just a normal start/idle) then
the momentary lack of pressure is virtually harmless if
your oil is in good shape. Not all the oil leaves the
surfaces, even overnight. I am also lead to believe that
synthetics are even better for this. Of course if your
oil is old, thin, and dirty what little doesn't drain off
the surfaces isn't going to do much good.

But this could all be voodoo. Its all word of mouth
from people I respect though, FWIW.

Marty Galyean