RE: tire balancing methods

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 00:09:04 EDT

Never had a problem with the "Sticky Weights" bouncing the tires. You have
to pay attention where you put them though. Some techs will just stick them
on and not pay attention to the location. That's where you get the bouncing
action from. Even on the old Camaro (Centerline Auto/Drags) at 120+, the
weights never came off. It again depends on the mechanic who's putting them
on though.

Most high-volume shops will do a basic cleaning and not pay any attention to
the oils left on the rims from their cleaners. Rubbing Alcohol (or even
better: Methyl Alcohol, available from Home Depot) removes almost all of the
oils and the weights have a clean surface to stick to.

I agree though, having the old "pound on" weights really don't look good on
custom rims. My Dak still has the sticky weights on it since the day they
were put on. I cleaned the surfaces right out of the boxes before the tire
shop got their hands on them.

$0.02

- Bernd