Re: RE: tire balancing methods

From: Bob Mankin (bob@cadpros.com)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 13:50:22 EDT

"Bernd D. Ratsch" wrote:

> On custom wheels, have them clean the inner surface with rubbing alcohol so
> that the tape weights will stick. (Sounds like ya threw a couple of
> weights.) Most balancers (at least the ones I used to work on) were set to
> 70MPH...some are set to 55 so ask just to be safe for the higher speed
> balance.
>
> - Bernd

Alex,

Also make sure they are placing the tape weights near the center of the
wheel rather than out near the edge. With the offset for the DAKS, this
shouldn't be a problem. After the balance it's a good idea to add a
piece of duct tape over them, much like they do on race cars. I've lost
many a tape weight over the years before starting this practice. With
new wheels this is a snap. Old ones require a good cleaning before you
do so.

Bob