RPM fluctuation fixed!

From: Terry Herrin (therrin@isaac.net)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 21:09:13 EDT

Some of you may recall I had a problem with rpm fluctuation at highway
cruising speeds. Every few seconds the engine would momentarily jump
a hundred or so rpms. Yesterday I cleaned the AIS sensor on the back
of the TB. It was carbon caked pretty bad for 20k miles, so I'm glad
I did. But it didn't solve the problem. Today I bought a new
throttle position sensor (TPS), which plugs into the driver's side of
the TB. The problem is fixed. The truck runs at a steady highway
speed now with no rpm fluctuations at all. Steady as a rock. And get
this, it now runs steady using the cruise control. It has never done
this. Even when it was brand new the rpms would jump every once in a
while using the cruise control. Had I known the TPS sensor would have
fixed it I would have had the dealer replace it a long time ago. I
know some others have said their truck does the rpm jump when using
the cruise control. If yours does you might want to consider the TPS
sensor. Oh, I almost forgot. Thank you John McCracken of Earnhardt
Dodge. He saw my email stating the problem and responded that it
could be the TPS. Good call, John!

Terry Herrin
99 FR CC R/T
14.769 @ 91.43