Re: DML News Server

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 00:21:05 EDT

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Aurelio Lopez wrote:

> Is there a News Server for these email postings? I'd like to research
> some previous DML postings.

   No, there isn't a news server, but the posts are archived in HTML
format here:

  http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/www/dakota/archives.html

   Speaking of news servers though, once the home page has been moved
to the new server, one of the things I have on my list of things to
do is to set up a news gateway such that DMLers can read and post via
a news server. (This would eliminate all of the e-mail for those
members who are unable or unwilling to wade through it all.) Before
I do that though, I need to figure out a way to prevent spammers from
posting messages and keep spammer bots from collecting e-mail addresses.
The news server will definitely be private and not distributed via
Usenet, so that will help, but we might need more. (i.e. passwords,
activating news access on a person by person basis, using the subscriber
list to validate posts, something along those lines...)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ---.
  | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'