Re: accel coil reliability

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 23:28:44 EDT

At 10:30 PM 6/16/00 -0400, you wrote:
> <snip>
>The truck doesn't seem to run any different since installing it, which I
>fully expected, but I saw some posts about someone's failing and leaving
>them stranded. Is this a common occurence, or are the accel coils reliable?
>The part # is 140021 for the coil and 140021AH for the harness.
>Doug Myers

FWIW.
After getting a small 'pop' with the Super Coil (could not tell if it was
a miss or small detonation) in the intake just before going through the traps
(near 5000 rpm), I checked the wires for arcing (none), pulled the plugs
and found cylinder #3 plug gap a little wider than the others. I reinstalled
the stock coil and the miss(?) did not occur the next time that I went to the
track. Not very conclusive but my experience with the Accel coil.

You can always carry the stock coil around in the truck and if the Accel
fails, it's a quick replacement job.

Bob