Re: 3923's resistor or suppressor?

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Jun 18 2000 - 09:49:39 EDT

At 01:05 PM 6/17/00 -0400, you wrote:
>I just received an email asking me what type of 3923's to use, resistor
>suppressor. I never knew that there was a difference other than copper or
>platinum. Could the resistor's be copper and the suppressor's be platinum
>or vice versa? When I purchased mine at PepBoys, I just asked for 3923's,
>but I'm not sure which ones I got. Now, after the email, I'm really curious
>about it ;-)

I came across this information on the web. I'll leave it to the reader(s)
to separate the sales pitch from useful information, and to decide which
is more suited to their needs. I personally have been running the 3923's
(thanks to Jon Smith's heads-up) and am really satisfied with them both at
the track and on the streets.

Autolite Copper Core Spark Plugs:
 • Are guaranteed for two years to deliver quick starts, improved fuel economy
   and smooth acceleration, no matter how many miles they go
 • Feature our exclusive copper-glass seal that bonds the insulator,
terminal post
   and center electrode together assuring full required voltage at the
spark gap
   for dependable performance
 • Offer the best suppressor resistor in the industry for superior
suppression of
   radio frequency interference.
 • Multi-rib insulator reduces danger of "flash-over" outside of insulator.
 • Cold-formed steel shell precision rolled threads conform to SAE/ISO
standards.
 • Copper-glass seal bonds insulator, terminal post and center electrode
together;
   assures full required voltage at spark gap; gas-tight seal (100%
leakproof).
 • Longer insulator nose provides longer fouling path to control fouling
deposits.
 • One-piece terminal post firmly sealed within ceramic insulator; provides
positive
   contact between spark plug wire connector and plug.
 • Resistor reduces radio frequency interference (RFI) and electrode erosion.
 • Copper core center electrode sheathed in high chromium-nickel alloy;
provides
   superior heat dissipation and durability.
 • Chromium-nickel alloy ground electrode resists gap growth and maintains
precise
   spark gap longer.

Autolite Platinum Spark Plugs.
We took the industry's best, the Autolite copper core spark plug, a step
further.
 • Feature a chromium-nickel alloy ground electrode and a necked-down
center electrode
   that requires less voltage for quicker starts, fewer misfires and faster
accelerations
 • Virtually eliminate gap erosion
 • Are guaranteed for three years with unlimited mileage

The new generation of electronically-controlled engines require
state-of-the-art spark plugs
to maintain precise combustion and environmentally safe exhaust emissions
under all
operating conditions for extended periods of time. Autolite Spark Plugs
are designed to match
combustion chamber heat range requirements for all types of engines,
whether computer
controlled with fuel injection or carburetted.

Autolite Spark Plugs have premium high-chromium nickel alloy electrodes to
assure precise gap
tolerance and maximum resistance to corrosion. Another important advantage
is the centre seal
which suppresses radio noise generated by the spark plug gap in the
combustion chamber.
This noise can disrupt engine control electronics, ABS controls and
interfering with radio and
telephone communications.

Bob