Re: V6 vs 4.7 V8 MPG

From: Marty Galyean (mgalyean@acm.org)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 00:52:40 EDT

Better than v6? Why would you tell him that? I've never heard/read that claim
anywhere before. My 4.7L 2k CC auto definitely is not any better than my '97 v6
CC auto was. At least 1mpg city worse actually. Still, the v6 was not enough
better to make me not get the v8 if I could do it again. The v6 kind of sucked
really having bad mileage and so-so performance. If I wanted mileage I'd get a
little nissan or something. My tailgate alone probably weighs 3 times what a
nissan tailgate weighs. You don't move a 'mid-sized' truck with real substance
to the body panels and frame without going through gas quicker. The v6 really
proves that. It has to work so hard to do it that any initial mileage gain is
trimmed down quite a bit. Might as well have the v8; better power/weight match.