Re: weirded Temp Gauge

From: Marty Galyean (mgalyean@acm.org)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 09:42:48 EDT

I stand by my original statement because I don't believe in cold fusion. I
wrote 'appear' because the engine itself is not heating its really cooling. The
compartment itself definately gets hotter than normal with the sender along with
it. Tell me, where is the heat coming from if the engine block/heads are really
heating up? This is what is happening: the heat is spreading from the
block/heads outwards and swamp the temp sender on the way, that's all. This is
a slow cooling process without the active cooling system running but it is a
cooling process all the same. The hottest points are getting cooler, not
hotter, and the hottest points are in the engine. I agree, it is normal. At
least according to the laws of thermodynamics. Some people think it is hard on
plastic and rubber parts etc so they like to crack the hood after a little idle
to help release the heat that is leaving; I think this is overkill but it can't
hurt anything but your schedule and might help the plastic and rubber, I don't
really know though.