Re: Leaking rear diff cover

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 01:13:43 EDT

> Kyle, I put RTV on the diff cover only.. no leaks *knock on wood* I
> missed your original post due to bellsouth's incompetance...

Jon,
Well this will really be my 3rd repair job to fix this leak coming from the
rear diff cover. One month after I pulled the diff cover off the do a fluid
change, it started to leak. Later on, after I pulled the diff cover off the
inspect the LSD(after I thought I blew it up), I put the cover pack on with
a fresh coat of RTV and it leaked. So, yes, it will be my 3rd chance to fix
this leak. I mean it is a frigin diff cover, it just wont stay sealed! The
front hasnt leaked at all and if still dry to this day. I dont know what
else to do. I cleaned off all the old RTV, cleaned everything up with brake
cleaner, put a new nice THICK bead(s) of RTV(tried both Ultra Black and
Ultra Blue) but the thing keeps leaking, drip by drip. I wondering if I
should try the aerosol can of 'Right Stuff' gasket maker by permatex:
http://www.permatex.com/right_stuff/right_stuff1.asp
http://www.permatexbrands.com/right_stuff/right_stuff2.asp
http://www.permatexbrands.com/right_stuff/right_stuff3.asp
and at:
http://www.permatexbrands.com/products/prodidx.asp?f_call=get_item&item_no=2
9247

>From Permatex's wesite: "Testing on the vehicles of state troopers, city
police, a taxicab com-pany, and a long-haul courier service began in April,
1993. Vehicles ranged in age from brand new to 200,000+ miles. Gaskets made
with the Right Stuff® have had a 0% failure rate; there has not been a
single fluid leak! Some vehicles have since been resold with these sturdy
gaskets still in place. The Right Stuff® effectively sealed against coolant,
engine oil, and transmission fluid in the over twenty-four cars, pickups,
and trucks that were monitored for an average of 62,500 miles, and up to
120,000 miles, per vehicle."
Pretty impressive, eh???? Think it is worth a shot since two different types
type RTV hasnt worked. It is just so odd that the front diff cover is dry
with NO leaks............
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6