Re: Got my Dak model (Semi off-topic, and semi long)

From: Ed Halterman (OLZNUT@webtv.net)
Date: Sun Jun 25 2000 - 06:10:45 EDT

I just got home from Quick D Tony's b-day party (saw Gone in 60 Seconds
also, AWESOME!!) and i've been following everybody's response on this,
and have my own version to add, coming from building model cars for alot
of years and all, just ask Jim Harmon, Chris Oertell, Jack Yates, Quick
D Tony, and Gary Pinkley, they've all seen my work. Now, to answer your
questions in order since I can't attatch your message to mine.

1) Sounds like you got the promo. There's a kit available, which is an
unassmbled promo (get it??).

2) Be very careful with that soldering iron, more than likely, that's
what they used to put it together, so all you need to do is just kinda
pick away at the mushroomed head and it will literally fall apart. The
cab and bed are seperate, they're held together by 4 tabs on the bed, to
get off after you took the chassis off, CAREFULLY push the bed down
from the cab, that will unlock it.

3) I don't have buckets either :-)

4) Good luck converting it to dual exhaust, the model's exhaust is
molded into the chassis. It ca be done, it's that it would take some
time to do it right and look correct.

5) All my models were painted via Testors from a "rattle can". I've
never used an airbrush so I won't comment the name. Do not use lacquer
on any plastic model, it will eat the paint unless you primer it first.
I learned that the hard way!!

6) There's a product called Bare Metal Foil, it is thin chrome sheet
that you cut out and has an adhesive backing so you can mold it to
emblems, trim, etc. I use it on all my cars. Real simple to use, just
make sure you have a real sharp X-acto knife to cut it.

7) Yes, I think the company is called Shabo that makes the tires BUT,
you're stuck with the factory wheels, because of the metal axles which
it must have.

8) No easy was to raise it (I'm looking at mine right now) Oh well, off
to sleep, going back down to Tony's place tomorrow for a bbq. Later
all!!!

Ed "Olznut" Halterman Sunland, Ca
'97 Dakota SLT+ CC Auto, 3.9L V-6, 160hp
         '66 Olds F-85, 5.4L V-8, will have 350hp

http://community.webtv.net/OLZNUT/WelcometoOlznuts