Re: Re: Some Lifted Dak Pics Up/Roof Rack

From: Killerdak@aol.com
Date: Sun Jun 25 2000 - 18:40:42 EDT

yeah, its not cheap but its the nicest roof rack on the market that I've seen
so far. I think for my truck the two load bars (I think they came two to a
kit) and clips were about $250 or so. Definitely been worth it. I also bought
the two-piece bike mount (front fork clamp, rear tire support and clamp) for
another $50 or so. That only works with longer roof spacing though as shorter
load bar spacing requires the mountain bike "track" attachment. The clips are
just the hardware that attach the load bars to whatever shape roof or door
channel your vehicle has. Mine clamped to the door and window channels. I
also like the ease of installation (just twist the handle on the end and it
automatically centers itself) and the fact that it LOCKS to your roof (by
locking the twist ends) with keys that come with it. A lot of bike stores
carry or can order it, even though many of them are not "registered" on the
Saris dealer page, call around...hope this helps!

____________________
Dave Kilian -- Clayton, NC
'96 Dakota CC 4x4 3.9L 5-spd, 4" TM susp. lift, 2" Body lift, 33" BFG MT's
etc...

In a message dated 6/25/00 5:41:00 PM, grndak4x4@home.com writes:

<< > Kyle, it's a Saris-

> that was the only brand I could find to fit a Dakota when I was looking

into

> racks, very good quality, stout, aerodynamic, and nice looking too. Last

> weekend I had my mountain bike and a full-size canoe strapped to it to go

> camping, fit both no prob with room to spare. You can get all kinds of

> different accessories for it depending on what you want to haul. I got

mine

> at a local bike store. Assembly is a breeze as you can see on the web page

> below. Not sure if it would work on a regular cab Dak though, because it

> clips into the front door and back vent of the Club Cab, although they do

> have several different mounts available....

> check out: http://www.saris-products.com/

Dave,

This is exactly why I would like one, to carry a canoe and to have added

cargo storage ontop. My canoe transportation methods arent that good(nor

that safe,) and I would like to get a good secure roof mount, like you have.

I just have never seen any which I liked or ones which require drilling into

my roof. According to the installtion video they have on their website, it

just clamps on and actaully locks on also(which is an added bonus). Does

yours just clamp onto the inside of the door/roof channel? I was kind of

shocked to see the price for one load bar, which they say I need #902 load

bar, is $200. Hopefully a local dealer will be cheaper than what they say

prices are on their website. However, if they are as good as they seem and

how well you like them, it would be worth it. It also states I need a Rear

18 Clip and Front 18 Clip, did you have to buy these? I would like to run 2

load bars, which is what it seems you are running. Thanks alot for the link,

my wallet thanks you also :) >>