Re: RE: gen II lift?ATT: DAVE Kilian

From: Killerdak@aol.com
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 18:03:22 EDT

I've been very pleased with the Trailmaster kit although installation was a
total bee-och. Lots of hammering, cutting, redrilling and swearing involved
as the parts didn't quite "fit" like they were supposed to. On road, it rides
very smoothly and handles very well to my surprise, minus a power loss going
to larger tires. A ring and pinion regear is on my list of things to do.
I've never ramped it but the front does not have increased articulation
because it still retains the IFS/torsion bar setup. The back articulates
quite nicely though being a solid axle. For tire clearance I had to do some
fender trimming plus add a 2" body lift.

I did some wheelin' this weekend and the ground clearance with the 33's was
awesome, no problems whatsoever and there were some gnarly rocks in the
trails to go over and around. Biggest concern though was some metal "stress"
noises I heard coming from up front when traversing a coupla obstacles. I
seem to think it is the torsion bars flexing/stressing under pressure but no
way to be certain, the bystanders at the obstacles heard them too but could
not tell me where they came from. I think the torsion bars are the weak link
in the whole setup, (as well as hanging low and posing a crush hazard on
certain rocks) ...I think I'm gonna have to get a set of spares to carry
soon. A solid front axle would be MOST desirable if you could fab it up. Do
one for me while you're at it!

If you want more info on the Trailmaster lift, check the DML archives under
"Trailmaster" starting about november-December of 99 as that is when I
installed the kit and did a lot of write up on it.
Dave Kilian -- Clayton, NC
'96 Dakota CC 4x4 3.9L 5-spd, 4" TM susp. lift, 2" Body lift, 33" BFG MT's
etc...