Re: Re: Dakota Weight

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@pop.flash.net)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 22:01:40 EDT

At 08:41 PM 6/30/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Not sure on the '99 but if it were a '00 it would weigh in at somewhere
>between 3600 and 3900 pounds depending on whether it was a regular or club
>cab and whether or not it had the "payload package."
>
>Without a towing package the manual states, "all Dodge Dakota trucks are
>intended to tow trailers up to 2000 lbs. without added equipment or
>alterations to standard equipment." Your step bumper is rated as a class I
>hitch and can tow up to 2000 lbs. Tongue weight should be 10 - 15% of the
>trailer weight or 200 - 300 lbs. Even with the lightest payload capacity on
>the '00 model line-up a tongue weight of 400 lbs. is allowed.
>
>Regards, Mike Klinke

Thanks Mike. Looks like the list consensus is to get a hitch. I
agree. Will see what the final loaded weight of the trailer is and see how
much load it puts on the rear end of the Dak. But so everyone will sleep
better at night, I have a source for a hitch in San Antonio. If it looks
unsafe, I will purchase and install the hitch before the return trip.

Thanks again

Mike