Where's this drip coming from?

From: Alex Harris (aharris@signcast.com)
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 15:43:22 EDT

Hi all --

After driving my brand new V6 with the AC on, I'm getting some serious
dripping action underneath -- I noticed it because I can hear it sizzling
when it hits the exhaust. It's a pretty good quantity; after I've parked for
a while there's a fair-sized puddle underneath. From what I've been able to
see, the drip seems to be originating right around the passenger side
firewall area (around where the heat shield is bolted on to the firewall)
and dripping onto the exhaust pipes -- at least that's where it becomes
noticeable. It's dripping from one exhaust pipe to the one below, just
forward of the junction (why isn't the upper pipe sizzling it before it
drips to the lower pipe, anyway?).

I traced the AC lines with my hand but couldn't find any wetness. I haven't
been able to get underneath to look up in there yet to try to identify it
better, but I thought you experienced types might have had some experience
with this.

I hope this is just condensation, but the volume is just so high... plus the
sizzle sound is really, really annoying. I smelled it and noticed no odors,
it looked and smelled pretty much like plain water (that had been sitting on
the pavement a while, of course).

Thanks!

J. Alex Harris
St. Louis Sales Manager