RE: Speaker Lifespan/Speaker Question

From: Robert Mierzejwski (rmierzej@telcordia.com)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 10:37:58 EDT

Kyle,
Speaker lifespan depends on two factors. How much water
they get exposed to and if they get enough power.
Some vehicles let water hit the speakers every time it rains...
Its always a good idea to cover the top of the speaker's basket
with tape to keep the water out.

Power handling is the biggest misconception I know of when it
comes to novice car audio hobbyists. You made mention of the
Pioneer's head unit power output (which is actually BS as head units
rarely put out more than 15wpc), but you failed to mention what the
speakers were rated at. A speaker rated at say 50+ RMS or continuous
watts per channel will have a early death if powered by a head unit. What
it comes down to is distortion. If you did have an amp, they probably would
have lasted another 2 years if water wasn't the problem.

I'm also suprised that you have so much trouble with Pioneer..I've been using
their products for years without a single problem.....however, their speakers
are
pretty lame. Kenwood and Infinity for your average stock replacement will do
nicely, but keep the power ratings under 50 watts RMS or continuous if the head
unit is all you'll be using.

Bob
http://caraudio.isonfire.com (my caraudio site featuring my Y2K Dak)