Re: Very poor MPG

From: Hemikota@aol.com
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 18:35:47 EDT

CSRyan@teleport.com writes:

<< Hey everyone, my name's Chris, long time reader, first time poster. I
 own a beautiful Black '99 CC Sport+ 4x4 318 Auto. I've added a GoRhino
 Grill/Brush Gaurd, Westin Side-Step Bars, WAAG Tail-Light Gaurds, GTS
 Blackouts F & R, 180 TS, K&N Drop-in, Modified the intake to the stock
 box, Champion Truck Plugs, Flowmaster 2 chamber, Extang BlackMax
 Tonneau, Rancho 3" lift, 32x11.5 BFG AT, running premium most of the
 time, with currently around 18,000 miles.

Its not the exhaust, I have a magnaflow (no chamber...staight through) with
stock pipes on my 00 4.7 4x4. Also 31" tires. I am getting a record of 16
mpg around town. I dont know why, but I had 170 miles at an exact half of
tank.
First, change out your thermostat back to a 195 then reset your computer.
Its controversial here on the list, but I think in some climates and maybe
altitudes, the 180 stat lets the truck stay in open loop. Its like having a
stuck shoke on a carb. Normally, the truck runs rich at start up but once it
hits 170-175 deg. it leans out and reads off the O2 and other sensors. If
your stat is opening at 180 or maybe even sooner, then the truck may be
cooling down enough to trick the computer into thinking its cold and goes to
open loop and runs rich to heat up the engine.
Also tune it up. Cap, rotor and maybe wires if they are worn and arcing and
check the plugs for proper gap.
And try for at least a tank or so, to keep the foot out of it. I know, thats
the hardest part for me!
Hope this helps.
Boog