Weekend Project(long)

From: Greig, Doug (douggr@hazelett.com)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 14:05:42 EDT

 I don't know if many of you remember but, I was teeling you all how I'm
Dakless until monday. Well, to get me through the pain ,I started to think
about the next mod I could do. It had to be cheap due to the bill I have to
pay for the balljoints. I decided to build my own cold air barrier similiar
to what's used on the K&N Gen 2. I have a Quick D Intake already, so I
proceeded with my duct tape and cardboard to make a template. The actual
barrier material is going to be an industrial grade PVC sheeting we use at
work to build small enclosures, etc. It comes in a 4'x8' sheet and various
thickness'. We call it plastic plywood because of it's size. I've already
cut out the pieces and put them together by tapping in 10/32 stainless
button head screws. To ensure that it keeps the heat out, I'm going to cover
the exterior surface with a special heat reflective tape that I got from
Summit. At the same time, I'm going to perform the IAS mod and wrap the
intake tube in the same heat reflective tape. This should definately
decrease the intake temp. To test it, I'm going place two thermocouples in
the engine bay (one in and one out of the barrier). One last thing, I'm also
going to toss my Bosch +4's out and install Autolite 3923's, plus install a
180 deg stat. The +4's ran fine until I installed the Accel coil. After, the
platinum tip seemed to have "frayed" like the end of a piece of rope. I'm
not impressed. Wish me luck. I'll let you know what I get for readings, etc.

 Have a great weekend all!

 Doug Greig
 Winooski VT
 98 CC 4X4 V6 Sport