Re: Chrysler Plant Tour (kinda long)

From: Sandman (sandman@swconnect.net)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 14:56:29 EDT

As for why it takes so long for you to get your vehicle after you order it. I
can answer that. Just think of it this way. They produce a completed car every
47 seconds, seems like a lot. Then take into account all the dealerships around
the nation waiting for those vehicles. Then, you have to realize that they are
sent out by train, which takes quite a while to get to their delivery point.
Then they sometimes sit at the delivery points for weeks, even months before a
driver becomes available to transport them. Then they are loaded onto a
transport truck and hauled, sometimes all the way across several states to their
final destination.

Then you can take into account that alot of vehicles are damaged during
transport. Vandalized on the trains.... scratched, dented, scuffed by the
transport drivers... etc.... and have to be sent back to Chrysler and then
you're waiting in line all over again. When I worked for the Chrysler
dealership here in town I was in charge of checking in all the shipments. You
wouldn't believe some of the stories I heard from these drivers. One that
springs to mind particularly is about a Quad Cab dak. One of the first ones
made. Some idiot got careless at the warehouse while loading it onto his truck
and totaled it. Backed into a pillar at about 40-50 mph, bent the frame, broke
out the back whindshield, screwed the tailgate and bed all up. So, maybe that
will help you understand the process by which a dealer gets his inventory and
why it takes so long sometimes.