Re: Multispeed tranny?

From: Matt Schroeder (schroema@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 17:43:02 EDT

I would imagine the reasoning for having two second gears is the same reason
Dodge made the full sized Rams engage the drive band at the same time as you
shift into reverse. This softens the gear engagement so you feel less of a
thump when you put it in reverse.

That reason is customer complaints about shift quality. When in reality
these transmissions are really very good and shift quality was not bad
compared to many other brands.

Customers complained about the shifting into reverse and it being harsh so
they made it shift while engaging both circuits in the transmission.

At least in '95 they did this in full sized Rams.

This causes premature wear in the drive band and is not necessary. There's
a simple mod. to fix this. One of my Mopar magazines went through it once.
I wonder if Dakotas do the same thing.

Personally, I wish the people that wanted their transmission to shift like a
Cadillac would go buy a Cadillac.

I'll bet if they were shown the bill for drive band replacement they'd
rather not have it shift into reverse quite so lightly.

--Matt Schroeder
Burnsville, MN