Re: My Daimler Chrysler Nightmare (I wish I could wake up!) - LONG

From: Steve and Leslie (the_black_ghost_2000@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jul 09 2000 - 14:27:16 EDT

--- Marty Galyean <mgalyean@acm.org> wrote:
> Steve, what is the going price of these BMWs for which a botched
> subassembly at
> wholesale is $60K? Does this involve some kind of penalty fee in
> addition to
> baseline cost or something? Tower must do a heck of a lot of
> volume to support
> all those manufacturers.
>
> Marty

When a part is considered faulty or bad the manufacture of that part
pays the penalty, and whatever the part is on the whole piece is
scraped. This applies to all welded parts, any bolt on parts are just
replaced. For instance, several parts are put together at our shop to
make a side panel of the BMW, if the parts go on to the assembly line
and are discovered to be bad or non-conforming then that intire unit
is removed and scraped. And to my knowledge those panels can not be
bought but the manufacture of the bad part pays for it.

Not every part of the frame on a vehicle is done at Tower, many
pieces are put to together on the assembly line to make a whole.
There are many different manufactures that make parts, that are then
sent to automobile manufactures.
- Steve

=====
Steve & Leslie Runde Bardstown, Kentucky '00 Dakota Quad Cab V6 SLT+ http://www.geocities.com/the_black_ghost_2000