Re: Dakota R/Tvs.'99 Cobra

From: Steven T. Ekstrand (cyberlaw@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 11:58:26 EDT

At the last two day Autocross school, there was a modified Cobra SVT in my
run group. Nice guy and a beautiful car. I was able to match him lap for
lap through out the weekend in my stock Dakota. He couldn't believe it.
It was pretty demoralizing. I tried to play it off as my having more
experience, but in truth I think he had more autox experience than I did.
Some of it was driver, but it made me wonder about the SVT's even with all
the Kenny Brown mods and massive 3 inch dual exhaust. Sure sounded sweet.
I heard that there is a class action lawsuit pending. The factory rated
the 99's at 320HP, but apparently most cars don't come close to that lofty
figure. The factory blames suppliers of the intake and exhaust systems as
not maintaining the specs of the prototype pieces. They have developed a
TSB that replaces these parts, but it still doesn't quite make it. Kenny
Brown will get you to about 330hp for about $10,000!!! Sounds like our
Blue Oval friends are going to be going through a Buyback fiasco like the
R/T owners went through. I'd say they have an even better case.

-STE