Re: speedo gear replacement

From: Dester223@aol.com
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 21:04:25 EDT

Take a look at the end of the transmission, called the tail shaft. Should
have a wire that plugs into a electrical component with a bracket held on by
a bolt kinda off to the side.

remove that bolt. unconnect the harness concector, pull out the speedo gear
(watch out, a little tranny juice might slip out!) pull the other speedo
gear out, put the new one in and reinstall. no more than a 5 minute job. I
did it in 3 minutes in the parking lot at school (very early) and my truck is
lowered. which made it VERY harder to get it.
-Dester

<< I have a '95 Dakota V6 5spd. I recently swapped out my 3.21 gears
 and open differential to 3.91 gears and a power-trax locker. The
 speedometer is waaayyyy off! So, I bought a new speedo gear and am
 trying to find out where it goes. I'm pretty sure it goes in the
 transmission, but where? Instead of spending $30 to have the Dodge
 dealer install it I thought I'd try.
     Can someone tell me where exactly it goes and how I replace the
 speedo gear? >>