Re: Milan trip...HELP!

From: Charles Wyman (cewyma@Roushind.com)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 13:10:25 EDT

Well I'm at work right now and don't have my time slips to give you...maybe by tomorrow. My 16.08 times are posted on my website. www.geocities.com/papa_c_d/

>Just from the information from your post, there should have been some
>gains from the addition of the PCM (0.20 at least). I would not think that
>the Dynomax would add very much (100ths) as the stock exhaust is a fairly
>good one.
>I would experiment with the gapping of the Autolites starting at 0.035
>but again gains will be, if any, very small (100ths).
The Quick-D is supposed to give me ~30HP also. I'm going to re-gap the plugs very soon to 0.035. Any suggestions on how to do this without tapping the end on something hard to make the gap smaller?

>Were your burnouts and launches (torque converter load-up and rpm) consistent
>with the one on your 16.08 run.
When I ran a 16.08 it was the first time I ever ran at a drag way. I had a very poor reaction, the O/D was on, and I didn't get my RPM's up at all during launch...I just let off the brake and stomped the gas. In all of my 16.1X runs I got the RPM's up only to about 800-1000 RPM...any more and I start spinning the rear wheels. It doesn't bog down at all during launching.

>Did you reset the MP computer before you started racing.
I reset the MP PCM when I installed it about 2-3 weeks ago, but did not reset it right before racing.

>How close was the track surface conditions to when you ran the 16.08.
Track conditions were very similar both times. Weather was 70-75 F and during the 16.08 it was sunny the other it was overcast.

>Were tire pressures the same.
Tire pressure during the 16.08 was around 30. The other were around 18-20.

>Were you going through the traps at/near the same rpm
Trap RPM's I'm not sure about. I never really kept track.

>Your Durango is extremely heavy (4800+ lb. ?) and your tires are nearly
  30" in diameter. If you replaced the stock tires, what are the diameters
  of the stock tires?
I think my Durango actually weighs a little more. I believe when they give weights on vehicles they have to give an average. Since I have added the 3rd row seats, leather, running boards, 4 wheel ABS, 5.9L, etc...I think the weight is around the 5,000lb mark. And, with my weight (190 lbs.) and the half to 3/8ths of a tank of gas it's probably closer to 5300 lbs. The Goodyears (275/60/R17)I have on there now are about 30" (29.9" to be exact). My stock tires were 31"x10.5"

>Off hand, without having dyno figures to analyze and having info. on any of
>the above, my guess is that tranny slippage is playing a large part.
Do you think a shift kit is needed?

>Bob. Ont, Canada.
>'97 Dakota CC, 5.2L, 4x2, 3.92 SG, auto., 4265 lb.
>PB: 14.737 @ 91.75 9.364 @ 72.95
Chuck
'00 Flame Red Durango SLT+
5.9L, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, R/T wheels (Goodyear Eagle GT II 275/60/R17)
2.5" Dynomax Magnum Race Series cat back exhaust, Mobil 1 oil & filter
Quick-D T-body & intake, Mopar Performance PCM, Autolite 3923 plugs
best 1/4 mile (stock): 16.08 @ 84 mph
www.geocities.com/papa_c_d/
cewyma@roushind.com