Steering wheel cockeyed, gonna pull it

From: Chris Ryan (CSRyan@teleport.com)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 16:01:53 EDT

I'm tired of looking at my steering wheel that's way off center to the
left. Instead of being at 12 o'clock it's more like 10. It was like this
when I bought it and before I learned how incompetent my local service
centers are I took it in, twice, both times when they gave it back they
said they aligned it to "factory specs", neither time did that have any
effect on the position of the wheel. Of course, both times, I pointed
out that the steering wasn't out of alignment but rather the steering
wheel was just a little off center. And of course, they said that was
the best they could do. Since I don't take my truck to factory service
centers anymore it's time to pull the wheel myself. The Haynes manual
lays it out pretty well, and I have a wheel puller, I'm just wondering
if anyone has ever pulled they're wheel before (on a GenIII) and if they
ran into any specific problems. I want to be fully prepared before I
begin, I don't want to have to make a run to the parts store half way
through the project steering with a set of Vise Grips.