Re: RE: Draining the Rear Dif Fluid (Help)

From: Seth Hollander (dakotademon94@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 11:18:33 EDT

I just did that last week. You have to loosen the
bolts, then crack the seal and let the fluid drain.
Then scrape off the remains of the factory paper
gasket or RTV gasket. Be sure to get as much as you
can off. Then clean the cover and diff surface with
mineral spirits. It is important to have a clean
surface or the new rtv won't bond. Then put an RTV
bead around the cover going inside the bolt holes.
Then bolt it back up and let it set. When you fill it
back up, use your finger for a dipstick. The fluid
should be 1/2 inch from the bottom of the filler hole
(rubber cap). For the future you may be interested in
getting an aftermarket cover with a drain plug, but
the procedure isn't that messy anyway. Hope that
helps, Seth