RE: Lightning spank...

From: Stlaurent Mr Steven (STLAURENTS@mctssa.usmc.mil)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 09:42:59 EDT

Ok Chuck, either the driver was a complete idiot or that surely was a fake
truck. But if it is the old one it ran in the high 15s or low 16s,
depending on the driver. After driven one, I was deeply impressed how much
power it had with the 4 speed auto. Especially the low end burn-outs. You
were right on with the 13s 1/4 mile times for that truck but I could see
even 12 or 11s with additional mods. But you know that all ready since you
guys do the SVT engineering work. My question, why didn't Roush change out
the rear gear for a smaller one since it was designed for high street
performance not hauling crap around?

The top-end on the Ford Lightning is around 148 MPH.

I've seen the latest info for the 2001 Lightning and it claims a 380HP now.
But what I have read on the Cobra R, the engine is really a 420-430 SAE HP
and 376 RWHP. I guess Ford doesn't want another law suite again.

Steven St.Laurent
Test Engineer
Test Branch, GSD, MCTSSA
MARCORSYSCOM, USMC