Curing Cold Rough Idle

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun Jul 30 2000 - 19:02:08 EDT

In my quest to hopefully one day cure the rough idle my truck has, only
during cold startups, I am going to install yet another sensor tomorrow. I
had to order this sensor, which is a Borg Warner Select product and will
cost about $52 from Pep Boys. Typically, they carry this sensor in stock,
but are sold out. Odd eh?

Using the info Rich sent me:
Warm-up mode is an Open Loop mode in which the PCM receives signals from the
following inputs:
-Battery Voltage........mine is perfect
-Crankshaft Position Sensor........this will be next after the MAP
-Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor......replaced for $11, no change in idle
-Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAP)..... replacing this tomorrow
-Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)......replaced for $30, no change in idle
-Park/Neutral Switch (auto. trans. only).........read my other starting
problem post
-Air Conditioning Select/Request Signal (if equipped)......don't have A/C

"Based on these inputs the following occurs:
* Voltage is applied to injectors with the PCM. The PCM controls sequence
and pulse width by switching on/off the ground to each injector.
* The PCM adjusts idle through the idle air control (IAC) motor and adjust
timing.
* The PCM operates the A/C thorugh the clutch relay.
* When engine reaches normal operating temperature, the PCM will begin
monitoring the O2S sensor input, and switch from Open Loop to Closed Loop
operation."

I will try the MAP, as some with newed Daks did(which I think cured the
rough idle problem), and see how things go. I will of course post an update
if changes occur. Nex sensor on the list will be the Crankshaft Position
Sensor.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6