dakota sound off & 2nd place trophy!

From: Chuong Nguyen (dester223@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2000 - 00:08:58 EDT

Well, circuit city had it's dB Drags today, so I went and paid the 15
dollars to enter. Got the basic sony Xplod bass CD and a t-shirt.

I also saw and heard the Xplod sony dakota. it was the white one with the
plates reading "xplod4" or something. had 16-10" subs in it or something to
that effect. Overall.... not too impressed... sorry. it's a sweet & clean
install, but they used the regular red subs, instead of the ES line of subs.
mids, and tweeters....

Oh well, on to my truck. 2-12" audiobahn high excursions with an opti 2500
in 2 ohms stereo and 2.23 cubes per sub tuned at 33hz. hit:
132.7 (whoops, wrong track!)
137.4 (beat a escort that did a 134.?)
136.7 (didn't even "bump" up the system because I was matched up against a
guy with a festiva w/2-DD 15" beast subs and a TON of power. I believe it
was 4-memphis 500d amps.. he hit a 158+ and was 2nd loudest there, but he
won 1st place in my class...

Overall, I think the dakota could have hit harder if I tuned my box to about
the 50-60hz range and modified the system to burp out a 50-60hz sine wave
for 3 seconds while I clip everything at full power (how the guys hit 158
and 161) Oh well, I came in 2nd and got a trophy for it. I wish they would
have put me in a better power class, because I was going against pros who
have massive systems, against my air leaking, poorly tuned, along with a
freshly added, clipping ere-G190 alpine subwoofer processor.

On the whole dB drag expeiernce. not too thrilled. You just fine tune
everything at home (any idiot could go pay someone for a killer install) and
go out here. push the pause button, adjust volume. push pause, wait 3
seconds and kill it. WHEW.... hard. I think I'm gonna stick to audiophile.
  I liked it how I got compliments how how low my system hit and how clean
everything sounded. Sure.. a couple people were hitting "harder" than me,
but it was pure distortion. I guess you can't win em all on a budget.

-Dester