Re: truck apart need help (was DC sucks)

From: Jon Steiger (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 21:50:10 EDT

At 08:53 PM 8/1/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Well the dealer is going to tow the truck (00 CC 4.7 V-8) back to my house.
>They said they will put all of the parts in the bed ie (trans, drive shaft,
>clutch, flywheel) so I am going to order the centreforce clutch on friday
>when i get paid. it will only cost me 320.00 and thats better than 800.00 for
>a stock one the only problem is i have to put it in myself and i don't know
>anything about it. Is there any one in the DC area that can help me put this
>truck back together. Please Call 703-815-6983 home or 703-418-0071 ext 214

     Ouch! :-( Why won't your dealer install it? I checked once with my
dealer when I was considering installing different rearend gears but didn't
want to do it myself, and they said they would be happy to install anything
I want; they would just use my parts and charge me the standard labor
rate. Plus, their work is automatically warrantied for 12/12,000 (note:
not the aftermarket parts, just their labor)

    Anyway, if you don't want to tackle it yourself, I would suggest either
talking to your dealer about having them install the centerforce, or call
around to some other dealers. If you can't find a dealer willing to do
this, you should be able to find a private garage willing to do it. Try to
find some local hot rodders to see who they reccommend... Another option
might be to approach one of the mechanics at the dealer and offer to pay
them to install the clutch in your driveway. (I don't know if this sort of
thing is prohibited by DC, but if not its worth a try. And even if it is,
you're not doing anything wrong by asking; the worst that could happen is
the guy says "no, I'm not allowed to do that".)

   On a somewhat different note, why isn't the clutch being covered under
warranty? If the truck has been in multiple times for this problem,
perhaps you can use the lemon law to your advantage (or just threaten to
use it)?

   Also, I don't know anything about what is involved in a clutch R&R
(perhaps some other DMLers can be of assistance here) but I wonder if it
would be worthwhile to make the dealer put humpty dumpty back together
again (re-installing the bad clutch in the process). If you're going to
have to pull all that stuff out again, perhaps it wouldn't be of much
advantage, but if I'm doing something myself, I generally like to take it
apart myself so I can remember how it goes back together. :-)

Good luck!!!

                                               -Jon-

   .--- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ---.
   | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
   | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
   `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'