Re: truck apart need help (was DC sucks)

From: L. J. Morris (ljohn@alltel.net)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 00:51:06 EDT

Chris;

Been watching your thread, I agree about your Dealer, that's bad (down right
ridiculous) However if you have really convinced yourself that you are not
going to pursue this with them anymore, please find someone you (or someone
you know) trust that is a mechanic. Since you mentioned you are not sure
what to do to start with and I saw somewhere that your fly-wheel needs cut
(faced), what are you going to do when you have to start torqueing the
fly-wheel to crank bolts, pressure plate to fly-wheel bolts, bell-housing to
block bolts and such. Remember this is a component that rotates at 5000
rpm. I am not being condescending, I am just trying to help you avoid
spending more money and time than the dealer wanted in the first place, not
to mention more headaches for you.

I have looked at mine, cause I CAN do the job and the hardest part for me is
getting everything out (the clutch replacement is the easiest part if you
have the correct tools, know the torque specs, and understand what goes
where) then getting the trany aligned and back into the clutch and
bell-housing will be the most difficult and if you have a 4x4 all I can say
is good luck. (much easier if not 4x4)

BTW: My '97 could use a clutch and just for hell-of-it I asked the Service
Manager (who I personally know) how much he would have to charge me to do
the work, $600 without facing the flywheel and that is at a small town
Dealer. I could purchase a good clutch/pressure plate/through-out bearing
from a friend that owns an Auto Parts Store for about $180 (remember this is
his cost). I would bet that I could find a local mechanic that would do the
job for $200 +/- labor.

Just my (hopefully helpful) $0/2,
 L. John
Your local **Real Hemi** Owner