Spark Plug Re-visit

From: L. J. Morris (ljohn@alltel.net)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 23:31:42 EDT

Folks;

I seem to remember a 100 yrs. ago ('97) that we all had problems with
spark-plug removal. I think it was suggested that when purchasing a new Dak
that you remove the plugs and coat them with **anti-seize**.

I can just imagine with the new 4.7L aluminum heads what it is like to
remove the original; plugs (I remember what it was like removing the factory
oil filter on my '97 only after 1500 miles)

My best advice to all new Owners would be to crank the plugs out as soon as
you purchase your truck and just take note as to their color for future
reference and coat the threads with **anti-seize** make sure it is the
metallic kind. HOWEVER if you do remove them when your vehicle is new be
very, very, very, careful as you may break one or two.

Fortunately when I purchased my '97 (for those of you that do not know me,
the one that I tore, ripped, destroyed the 3.92 rearend with 3 miles on the
speedo), I was personal friends with the selling Dealer and I told one of
his mechanics that it had a miss and that I thought it was a bad plug, the
Dealer pulled them to check and broke two in doing so, I got a new set
installed for free, after that no problems removing them with **anti-seize**
on them. I think I had 400 miles on it when this occurred.

With a little American ingenuity one can accomplish anything.

Just trying to educate those that are wet behind the ears.

BTW: When I changed the plugs myself, Autolites went back in and that was in
"97 before we had all this input from the DML list. (food for thought) This
was based on the knowledge that when I was 16 my dad purchase a D500 Dodge
truck with a 318-3 motor (sodium filled valves) and it would not run for
$hit on the factory Champion plugs until we put in Autolites.

L. John (I am on a roll this evening)
Your local *Real Hemi* Owner