RE: Encounter with 300-lb gorilla (pulling stock plugs)

From: Alex Harris (aharris@signcast.com)
Date: Sat Aug 05 2000 - 02:54:22 EDT

> Here's the no-brainer. Instead of using a spark-plug socket..
> Why don't you guys use a regular socket that doesn't have that
> little plastic piece that actually HOLDS the plug to the socket?

Dester, may I present you with the first annual "DUH" award for this one?
DUH! (as in "that's way too obvious for us to actually think of")

Of course, if we yank the heat shields, it's no longer an issue...

> PS. wait a second on the "do it while it's warm" I have always
> done it while it's cool. Reason is... the heat would cause the
> metals to expand, making a tighter seal, so if it's cool, it
> should be contracted, making it easier? Correct me if I'm wrong...

Well, I can see two schools of thought on this, both of which seem logical.

In one scenario, the head would expand into open spaces, meaning the size of
the threaded opening would shrink, making the plug more difficult to get
out.

However, if the metal expands relationally (meaning the entire piece
basically scales up to a larger size), the hole would become bigger as well.

If someone hadn't stolen my digital caliper, I could measure a hole in a
piece of metal both cool and hot to see what actually happens, but I'm sure
someone here already knows. Anyone?