Re: Shift Kits

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 12:05:41 EDT

At 03:23 PM 8/7/00 GMT, you wrote:
>I'm looking for a shift kit for my 98 R/T. What shift kit is the best
>street/strip performer? I'm looking for something that firms up the shifts
>but isn't to snappy. Any recommendations? Places to order? Thanks, John
Walker

John, I've been using the Transgo kit with my 44RE for about a year.
On the streets at part throttle, shifts are firmed up and not very
harsh whether you manually shift or let the tranny shift. Manual
downshifts are almost instantaneous and if you are at speed, it
will jolt you. Best is that slippage on the 2-3 shift has been
cut down.

For me, the con side is that, at the track, at WOT and manually
shifting around the 5000 rpm, the shifts are erratic i.e. does not
want to upshift. At WOT and letting the tranny shift, it seems
to be alright since I put in a MP tranny cooler. It was pretty
well consistent with the auto. shifts at C@C this past July.

The tranny man (very good reputation locally) who did my install said
that the kits were not made for the electronically-controlled trannies
... confuses the PCM under certain conditions. His advice was to
adjust the TV cable. I had tested with 1/4-runs adjusting the cable
in both directions and at various notches but am still having the
problem.

I wanted to see if the 'inexpensive' things would work first before
going into the tranny. I thought the tranny cooler would help.
It does lower the tranny temp. Before the water pit, temp. readout
was 136F; after the run, it was 146F. I also thought that he may
have put in Dextron III instead of ATF+3.

It may be computer related. I normally run with the '96 MP PCM
for the performance gain and have had the problem with it. This past
Saturday I tested with the '97 MP PCM and got the shifts but they
were not clisp ... almost like the PCM was doing something else
during the shifts ... readouts show that PCM really retarded the
timing at the shifts (don't know the reason but could be because
it's CA emission compliant). I also shifted at 5600 rpm with
a custom computer that was calibrated for 5600 rpm shifts and the
shifts were right on the mark and crisp.

Some have experienced the same problems under the same conditions
as I have; others have not (???).

Hope this helps.

Bob. Ont, Canada.
'97 Dakota CC, 5.2L, 4x2, 3.92 SG, auto., 4265 lb.
PB: 14.737 @ 91.75 9.364 @ 72.95